During Me-Made-May 2014 I'd like to share some of the me-mades I've made recently. For week #1 of MMM14, I've been wearing this particular garment almost daily ((or rather, nightly))! It's a maternity pajama based on Colette's free pattern, Sorbetto
During this pregnancy, I've inherited so many things from friends. One of my favorite items was a Sorbetto top I helped a friend make for her first pregnancy. I took her measurements and devised a way to use the pattern to make her a top. We learned that by leaving the bottom part of the pleat open, you get a lot of room for a belly. We also added 5" of length at the waist for extra coverage.
One of the drawbacks of the first prototype, though, was that it was made out of plain cotton and so it did not allow for freedom of movement or stretch should you want to sleep in it.
So, when it was my turn, I thought about improvements that could be made to last year's prototype. Firstly, I made the decision to try a single knit jersey. I had a big chunk of single jersey fabric from my attempt at this "wrap dress pattern
" from Burda... There was no way that dress was going to work for me, and so I was happy to chop it up for this Sorbetto Maternity PJ top.
|Yes, that's my dressform with a bag of fabric scraps stuffed into a belly band |
to simulate my enormous pregnant belly. It's a little lumpy, but you get where I'm going.
I had to patch 2 pieces together for the front piece since I didn't have any pieces wide enough to trace the pleat at the front. I once again added the 5" at the waist, and I only sewed the top 5" of the pleat down the front.
Secondly, all the edges were finished with self-fabric so they're stretchy. This was done by cutting 1.5" strips and folding them in half, then using the serger to attach them to the edges before the shoulder and side seams were sewn.
So, if you're attempting this at home...
Colette Patterns Sorbetto
is your base pattern.
Drafting: Add 5" length to the waist of front and back piece (or more if desired).
Cut 4 strips of 1.25" self fabric or knit rib with max stretch going with the long edge: 1x strip @ 2" longer than the front neck circumference, 1x strip @ 2" longer than back neck, 2x @ 2" longer than the total armhole circumference.
- Make bust darts as written
- Sew only top 5" of pleat, stay stitch pleat at neck edge
- Attach edging to front and back neck edges (fold edging strip in half, 3 raw edges together, serge)
- Sew shoulders
- Attach edging to armholes
- Sew side seams
- Turn up hem, press
- Twin needle finish for neck edge and hem, single needle top stitch for armholes
And that's pretty much it! You can stabilize the shoulders if you want, but mine is a pajama so I don't really care, and it hasn't rippled even after washing. The front neck edge could be tighter if I had used ribbed knit fabric. And, that's it for now!