DIY Diaper Mishaps!

I love sewing as you all know. And, I thought I'd try my hand at making cloth diapers for the baby.  Already, we have a collection of cloth diapers that I used as references, but I started with The Nappy Network's online resources.  That website has a plethora of links, and I found a few patterns that I thought would work... collected materials: PUL (polyurethane laminate fabric), stretch terrycloth, hemp cloth, FOE (fold-over elastic), etc... and plastic snaps.  I bought a KAM snap tool and lots of snaps.  Little did I know that the snaps would be the weak link in this particular DIY effort.

my first effort - a bit wonky working with the FOE

After making a plain, unlined diaper (grey and yellow), I made a couple with the stretch terry lining.  These are basic diaper covers.  I installed the snaps and ran into a bit of trouble when I installed one backwards - sleep deprivation!  Then, I tested the snaps.  D'oh.  That should have been my first step.  I should have tested the snaps, but I didn't.  So, the majority of the snaps are the bulk, cheap, e-bay variety of KAM snaps and they do not want to unsnap!  The snaps fit so tightly into one another that they don't want to let go!  The PUL tore before I could get two of the snaps on the plain grey and yellow to unsnap.  Oh well.  I don't know how functional these first three will be, but I'm happy to at least get back into the sewing swing of things.

Have a great weekend, and I hope your crafty efforts are more successful than mine were this week!
Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.