Confession time: I sometimes feel lost in the publishing industry. Even though I've been an artist and designer for decades, it wasn't until 2017 that I got serious about kidlit and 2022 that my first book as author-illustrator came out. Currently, I'm trying to make new work to sell another book while simultaneously marketing existing books, and it's a challenge!
Publishers shoulder some of the outreach responsibilities, but most titles on their lists do not get the kind of marketing that their "lead" titles do. Lead titles are the ones that get the big posters, cardboard cutouts, commercials, billboards, etc. And, as many authors will tell you, most books don't get the red carpet treatment and most books' marketing and outreach falls on the shoulders of the author.
But all is not lost. What can you do to help? I'm so glad you asked! There are things people like you, dear reader, can do to help a book succeed.
Here a few FREE ways that you can help get the word out about a book without spending a single penny. Here are just a few:
- Request any of my books from your local library.
- Recommend my books and/or me to your local school for an author-illustrator visit. I love inspiring kids to write and draw.
- Submit any of my books to your state book award! This state book awards list from Vanderbilt University is really well organized by region and is updated regularly.
- Add my books to your Goodreads "want to read" list and vote for my books if they make it on any of those lovely local lists.
- Suggest my books to your local bookstore share my information as a possible visitor or storytime author.
- Leave a positive review on any of the big sites like Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
Here's the information you'll likely need to do any of those tasks (title, ISBN, ordering info)...
- ABUELITA AND I MAKE FLAN, Adriana Hernández Bergstrom, ISBN 9781623542658
- ABUELITA Y YO HACEMOS UN FLAN, Adriana Hernández Bergstrom, ISBN 9781623543990
- TUMBLE, Adriana Hernández Bergstrom, ISBN 9781338828665
- COUNTDOWN FOR NOCHEBUENA, Adriana Hernández Bergstrom, Hardcover ISBN 9780316467919, Board book ISBN 9780316467810